I’m always interested in healthy and easy recipes to balance out my not-so-healthy days. Hannah Ban Anza sent me this recipe for her Easy and Healthy Chicken Enchiladas the other day. It totally has potential to be low fat and low carb, but of course I used full fat cheese. I’m not opposed to fat-free cheese. I just couldn’t find any that day…but I really didn’t mind.
Ban’s Easy and Healthy Chicken Enchiladas
- shredded chicken
- 1 can of red enchilada sauce
- 1 can of green enchilada sauce
- nonfat shredded cheese (Monterey Jack or Cheddar or both!)
- shredded iceberg lettuce
- chopped cilantro
- diced red onions
- diced bell peppers (red, yellow, or orange)
- sliced black olives
- Pre-heat oven to 375°.
- Spray 9 x 13 baking dish with Pam or lightly rub with oil for nonstick effect.
- Fill each tortilla with shredded cheese and shredded chicken proportioned to your liking.
- Roll up and place onto oiled baking dish, and keep lining them up as you fill the dish.
- Pour red sauce over half of the baking dish.
- Pour green sauce over rest of the dish.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese over everything.
- Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Uncover foil and bake for 10 minutes.
- Serve enchiladas on a bed of shredded lettuce.
- Sprinkle pre-chopped cilantro, bell peppers, and red onion on top.
- Serve with pickled jalapeños.
- Hot sauce for extra kick. (Not optional in my opinion.)
- Top with sliced black olives too.
Guess who smelled her way to the kitchen and right next to my leg! Kuma’s like a ghost sometimes. She pops up out of nowhere…total stealth move.
All shredded and ready to go! You can’t tell, since there’s nothing shown for scale, but it’s actually a big dish. There would have been more chicken too, if it weren’t for Kuma…and me.
I know shredded cheese is probably more appropriate, but I don’t like to pay extra for shredded cheese when it takes a few seconds to shred them myself. I have a grater, but I thought it would be more fun and cheesier to cut rough slices instead.
And some more…
Get your baking dish ready by spraying with a cooking spray or by lightly oiling it.
Now time to assemble! Get your tortilla, and place your shredded chicken on top…
Then add your “shredded” cheese…
Place it in the baking dish and repeat until you fill the dish. I filled four rolls perfectly, and it actually served the two of us for two meals! Those enchiladas are bigger than they look!
“Help! Get me out of here!” Haha..sorry. Couldn’t help it.
You can use either red or green sauce, but I used both like Hannah said. Variety is good.
Pour half and half.
I forgot to take a photo of the “shredded” cheese on top of the sauce. But it’s in there, I promise. Place the dish covered in foil into the pre-heated oven. Bake for 15 minutes.
While it’s baking, prep the veggies. Dice some red onions. The more, the merrier.
Then dice some bell peppers…
Slice up some black olives…
Give your cilantro a rough chop…
And finally cut some iceberg lettuce into shreds.
And there you go. Everything you need right at your fingertips.
Back to the oven. After the initial 15 minutes of baking, uncover and bake for another 10 minutes. Oh, it smells so cheesy! I love melted cheese!
Ooh la la! It’s an ocean of melted cheese! Be careful…don’t burn yourself!
Place enchiladas on a bed of shredded iceberg lettuce, and top with all the goodies. Now that’s what you call a hot mess!